Thursday, July 3, 2008

Annoucement

Derek and I thought we should announce that we are pregnant. This was not planned... we had planned to wait until August to start trying for #2. We were going to wait to announce it until closer to the second trimester after the risk of miscarriage dropped.

Before you get excited though, let me finish. We are supposed to be 7 weeks 3 days pregnant today. Last week I started having some spotting.... for the first couple days it was just on and off, hardly anything at all. I was even questioning whether or not to be worried about such a small amount. When it didnt go away and got a little worse, I started to have doubts that the pregnacy was going to continue. By Sunday night I had fully convinced myself that I was going to miscarry again. I even started researching what the next step would be to get the miscarriage to progress.

Monday I called the doctor, got an appointment for Tuesday morning. Tuesday morning I went in, Derek got away from work for a little bit to come with me. My cervix was closed, and the doctor found a little beating heart! (Both very good signs!) I cried because I was not expecting to hear that there was a heartbeat. The baby was measuring a week and a half smaller than what it should have been though, so they sent me for blood work, and then again today for more blood work to check my hormone levels. In early pregnancy, hormone levels are supposed to double every 2 days.

This evening right after dinner, my doctor called me to inform me that my hormone levels dropped and that it was inevitable that I was going to miscarry again. Now I just have to wait until next week to go in to see the doctor again to talk about medication to help the miscarriage progress a little quicker. (Unless it happens sooner on its own) It can take several weeks for your body to realize the baby isnt growing anymore and miscarry on its own. I feel that would be emotional anguish and am going to opt for meds to help it along.

No, there is nothing wrong with me that I would have another miscarriage. My body has proven that before by conceiving, carrying and birthing Jadon. We are just unlucky. Once a heartbeat is established, the risk of miscarriage drops to less than 5%.... unfortunately this time, we are in that less than 5%. Maybe after a 3rd miscarriage we would start to think about doing some testing to see if there is something else going on.

I am trusting God with this.... He made something beautiful from my last miscarriage-(Jadon)- and there's no doubt in my mind that He will make something beautiful out of this one too.
I dont know if we'll stick to our original plan and try in August still.... probably not. I want to have a full cycle or two before trying again. However, none of my pregnancies have been planned so far, so the next one probably wont be either! The good news is, we have no problem getting pregnant easily.

I'd be lying if I said that this wasn't upsetting to me, or that I haven't questioned over and over why this is happening to me again. I know God has a purpose and a plan for my life, and because of that, I am at peace with this.

Anyways, I hope you will keep us in your prayers for a quick recovery- both physically and emotionally. I'm sorry to have to announce it like this.... Derek and I couldnt wait to share it with everyone a little farther down the road. It just didnt seem right to not tell our family and friends at all, even though we are losing the baby.

Hope you all have a very fun and safe 4th of July! Take care!

No comments: