I get migraines. A lot. A LOT of migraines. I've gotten migraines for as long as I can remember. I remember getting them as a child, not very often, but once in awhile. As a teen, i'd get them more frequently and it continued that way into my early adult years.
Despite what everyone says that pregnancy often cures migraines, at least during pregnancy....didnt happen for me, in fact pregnancy aggravated my migraines. I'd get them every other week, and they'd last for 3-4 days, and unfortunately I couldnt take medication to help them, so I had to suffer. Fortunately with Jadon, the migraines DID stop during my 2nd and 3rd trimester, but UNfortunately with Avery they continued throughout the pregnancy.
Obviously hormones are a trigger for my migraines. As well as pretty much everything else in life- sleeping too much, sleeping too little, stress, nerves, illness, skipping meals, eating meals late or out of schedule, squinting (from sunlight for example), bad posture, neck tension, hormones, etc, etc, etc...... I havent found any foods to be a trigger yet, but I haven't closely followed that either. I really dont think that any foods are a trigger for me though. I do however think that stress is a large trigger for me, and since I am a worrier, I'm always stressed.
Anyways, since about a month after I quit nursing Avery, my migraines have gradually became more frequent. In the last half a year, they've became so frequent that i've been almost running out of my migraine medicine each month. I take Imitrex whenever I get a migraine. I basically have 18 pills a month (9 pills that I cut in half), which means I can have as many as 18 migraines, however, sometimes a migraine will require more than 1 pill. EIGHTEEN migraines! That is alot of migraines!
Derek has been pestering me for years, even before the kids were born, to talk to the doctor about being on some kind of preventive medicine for these migraines. I hate going to the doctor. But I finally had enough. I saw my doctor last friday and she started me on a preventive medication. Unfortunately I have to start it slow. 25 mg for 1 week. The next week 50 mg. The 3rd week, 75mg, and finally the 4th week the full dosage of 100mg. She said you have to start slow because of some side effects. I've been taking the 25mg for 6 days now with no problems; on saturday I get to up my dosage. I've never wanted time to go by so fast!! I pray pray pray that this will help. I'm tired of migraines.
1 comment:
Oh Alicia! I had no clue they were so bad!!! I know synthetic hormones caused mine to be way worse. I'm glad you've gone to the doctor. I hope the preventative medicine helps! I know it's truly such a terrible thing to go through!!!
Post a Comment