Thursday, October 28, 2010

Harvest Party at the preschool

Derek and I had the privilege of helping out at Jadon's preschool's harvest party today! We had a great time, it was so much fun! I can see why his teachers love their job so much because kids that age are so cute and funny, but at the same time, I don't think you could pay me enough money to do that 5 days a week!
It was also nice to get to see how Jadon is at school. We have been wishing since the day he started that we could be fly's on the wall so we could watch him inconspicuously! Jadon seems to be a pretty quiet boy, and definitely a follower. Although most of the kids were pretty quiet. Derek and I were shocked that we were the only parents to sign up to volunteer though. Its important to us that we stay involved in our children's lives.

We played games and watched the kids go crazy in the gym! We also got to sit with the kids and have snack with them. I love the values that the teachers are trying to instill in the kids. And I love the fact that just because we were there, Jadon did not get special treatment. At snack time, the teacher was going around asking the kids if they wanted more juice. One little boy said he wanted more, but he had not tried his apple slices yet, so the teacher said he had to try his apples before he could have more apple juice. All the kids are expected to at least try everything they are given for snack. I also love that even though the snacks are provided by the parents each day, the teachers request that it be healthy snacks, and junk foods like capri suns and cookies will be sent back to the parents uneaten if that is what is provided. They always make exceptions however, for birthdays they allow treats, and today for the party treats were also allowed.
Also when the teacher was going around asking if anyone wanted more juice, when she asked Jadon, he said "no", and she instructed him to say "no, thank you." So, manners are important, i love that also. Timeouts are also given if necessary, although most of the kids did really well the whole day.
We ended up staying for almost the whole morning, but then with about 45 minutes left, Avery started getting really sleepy, so we reluctantly called it a day and headed home. We let Jadon stay though (he got to play bingo after we left) and Derek went and picked him up at the usual time.

It was quite an honor for us to get to help out, and I don't know about Derek, but I'm looking forward to the next event to help at... I imagine its something for Thanksgiving..??? It was also nice getting to see Jadon in a setting that we never get to see him in. I am SO thankful we decided to put him in that preschool, and its SO worth the money each month! Gives me more motivation to work harder at my new endeavors as well!

No comments: