Sunday, October 3, 2010

Birthday Cake

I still havent decided what to do for Avery's birthday cake, and her party is less than a week away now! The whole party planning has kindof gone down the toilet. I spent weeks trying to make her invites, except I dont have the right program to do a good one, so then I spent several more weeks trying to find something on the internet. The theme I was going for was Dragonflies, but most of what I could find was for butterflies. I found a website and ordered some little handmade dragonflies for her cake, but when I got them in the mail, they ended up looking more like butterflies. The invite I ended up with was some simple flowers with A dragonfly on it. So, then I thought that maybe i'd do flowers, dragonflies and maybe butterflies.

Last week I went to the store to find some napkins, plates, etc. The selection they had was horrible. So I thought that maybe i'd just go with like pink and purple plates/napkins, etc. However, they didnt have those colors. All they had were primary colors. Well, I wasnt going to tote around the kids to another store, especially since Avery doesnt last long on any outtings, so I settled once again on something that was not what I was hoping for.

For the cake, as you already know, I enjoy making the kids' birthday cakes, even though I stink at it. I feel like its more special when I pour my heart into making their cakes, luckily they wont remember or care what they look like at their ages! So, in my mind I have an extravagant cake planned for Avery's birthday. However, I went to Michaels a month or so ago to get the supplies I would need, and the price tag was adding up FA$T... between needing fondant or gumpaste, plus all the little tools to make flowers and everything else. I decided that I would skip fondant/gumpaste, and just stick to frosting. I'm sure I spent about a fourth of what I would have spent had I stuck with my original plan. But, now I have to figure out a new plan of action for what I want it to look like.

I dont have any decorations yet, and I dont know if i'll even do any. Really, the first birthday party is more for the parents than the child. We'll see if I get inspired between now and saturday though.

On top of all that has not gone the way I was hoping, the memory card in our camera broke on friday! We were able to get the pictures that had been on it off, but it doesnt work anymore. Derek ordered a new one, and it might not even be here in time for the party. Of course! Why not? At Jadon's first birthday party, my camera batteries died before I could get any pictures.... why should Avery's party be any different than her big brothers?

The only thing that has gone right so far, is the outfit for her party. I bought a "birthday girl" shirt to wear, I made her an adorable tutu (that I improved upon since having posted the picture on here), and bought her some adorable, sparkly pink shoes and a headband to match the outfit, at my friends store.

Now i'm just waiting to see what kind of disaster happens at her party. The day starts off with Jadon having soccer until noon... also, its game day, although I haven't heard yet from Derek what time the game is at. And, I havent heard back from at least half of the invited guests yet. But I sincerely appreciate everyone that has let me know! Thank you!

This week is looking to be quite busy with party preparations, preschool, and many other little things. The planner in me has got a written list going of what needs to be accomplished so that I dont waste a single minute this week.

Unfortunately even with all that is going on, I cant avoid the fact that my baby is turning 1 in just a few short days. Cant I just turn back the clock a few months? I'm not ready for her (or Jadon for that matter) to grow up so fast. :(

No comments: