Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's day parade

I took the kids to the Veterans day parade today. After living in this area all my life, I dont recall ever having been to this particular parade... supposedly the biggest one west of the Mississippi. I'm sure i'm wrong.... i'm sure my mom took us at some point, but I just dont remember ever going. Seems like its always pouring down rain as well.

Anyways, I loaded up the kids, we parked a ways out, walked to the parade and the kids lasted for about an hour or so, then Avery started getting tired and hungry (it was lunchtime afterall... the girl is on a strict schedule... shame on me for straying from her much needed schedule!) So, I let her walk up and down the sidewalk, and that kept her occupied for a few minutes... that is, until she did a face plant into the sidewalk. It went downhill from there. By 12:30, Jadon decided he'd had enough and was ready to go. I imagine his blood sugar level was also low... as mine was getting low as well.

The nice thing is that Derek got to walk down from work and watch a bit of it with us... or, at least the important part (the fighter plane flying over.... sorry, i dont know what it was.... F15?? After 11 years with Derek and I still dont know one fighter jet from another.... again, shame on me!)
Jadon said his favorite part was the very beginning, when about 500 motorcycles drove through.... and I do mean there was a TON of them! Probably at least 10 minutes worth??
It was fun to see his excitment with it all though... several marching bands went through, and he loves marching bands too. I imagine he'll be in a marching band some day.

The weather was cold and breezy, but not raining! We were ice cubes by the time we were done, my feet are still trying to defrost, but it was a fun time! Definitely something i'll consider doing every year, not only for the kids enjoyment, but also to show support for the men and women who serve/have served our country. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts!

1 comment:

Jane, Tom, and Charlie said...

You probably guessed right about the F-15 being the fly by. The Oregon Air National Guard has two units of them (Portland, and Klamath Falls {where I was stationed for 10 years). It has been a part of both units history to do fly bys at local festivities on Veterans Day.. . So don't worry about not being able to identify them without looking up... it comes with time! :-)