Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Solicitors

We get so many solicitors in our neighborhood its not even funny. I have long since quit opening the door when someone knocks or rings the doorbell because i'm so sick of having to shoo them away all the time. Plus, they are getting more and more pushy! Once in a blue moon i'll open the door when someones there.

So this afternoon was one of those blue moon days. The doorbell rang late this afternoon, so I thought id open it. BIG mistake! It was some guy who said he was from some security type company. And he started talking to me about how since the economy is so bad, more and more break-in's are occuring, and blah blah blah. Ok, whatever, he seemed legit. Then he starts asking me things like "do you have any guns or dogs in the house?" And said that most break-in's happen through backdoors, and wanted to know if he could come in and see our backdoor. Immediately alarms were going off in my head and I declined but he was persistent wanting to know why. Grrr... I finally got rid of him and messaged Derek at work and told him what had just happened, and he came right home (it was time for him to come home anyways.) Derek felt uneasy about what I told him, so he called the cops and reported it. We got to see the cop stop and talk to the guy from our window, and from the looks of it, the guy was legit because the cop shook his hand and left after several minutes.

So, we may have overreacted a little to the situation, but at least we'll be able to sleep tonight. Con artists are getting so clever and sophisticated, I just dont trust anyone these days. Plus, what kind of door to door salesman asks those kinds of questions?? I understand they are just trying to do their job, but its so annoying! I'm more likely to respond to an ad for a company in the newspaper or flyer or something.

Funny thing though, he was back in the neighborhood at 8:30pm tonight ringing doorbells again, except this time he had a woman with him.

3 comments:

Ryan & Jen said...

I would have been suspicious as well. Sounds to me like a guy scoping out the easy houses to rob, but at least the cops trusted him.

Karla said...

Wow you had my tummy doing flip flops reading that, so glad it turned out ok. You can never be to safe. Time for NO SOLICITING signs to be put up.

Autie said...

hehehe... they did a news report on this last year here in Hawaii.

But it is soooo easy for anybody to go around and do this. Very poor training on the company's part. Makes you think maybe the top 3 security alarm firms came together to organize this "legit" business venture of door-to-door-creepies just so people start installing alarms and stuff. lol. Booooo!

Glad your safe. Watch out when you open the door to solicitors/people you don't know- especially when Derek isn't around- be safe.