Saturday, September 4, 2010

Garage Sale

Our garage sale was friday and today, and it went great! We got rid of a ton of stuff! I'm telling you, the key to selling your stuff at a garage sale is pricing it low! We sold all of our big furniture items, so those are no longer taking up space in our garage! We had a desk, a large bookcase, a microwave stand, and another desk. The first three items we sold for $5 each, and the last desk we gave away for free. It was ugly and no one would buy it at $2, so Derek put a free sign on it, and an older man took it off our hands for us! We even had another older man take some old tires and rims that were falling apart off of our hands for us! We were thrilled to give them away!
So, day one, we had people there going through our stuff before we even had it all out, and it was like a swarm of bees from 7:30am-11am! Then it died down and people just trickled in. We closed up shop at around 2pm.
Day two, we had a pretty steady stream of people from probably 9am till probably 12noon. We closed up shop around 230pm, got all the rest of our junk into the trunk of the car, and took it to Goodwill! So nice to have that stuff gone!!!
Our poor neighbor had her things priced too high, and she didnt sell much on the first day, so she lowered her prices and did much better on day two.

It was hard watching the baby items walk away... like the highchair that both my kids used as babies. Or the Baby Bjorn that I carried the kids in when they were tiny. And the bouncy seat that Avery spent so much time in and loved so much (until she learned to sit up.) And all of the kids clothes were hard to see go. Surprisingly, Jadon's bedset that we bought for him when I was pregnant, didnt sell at all! I even lowered the prices on it on the second day, to about $5 for a bumper, crib sheet, 2 valances, cribskirt, and quilt, as well as the mobile. Considering we spent close to $200 at Baby's R Us for that stuff, I thought it was quite a steal! The mobile sold, but nothing else did. It was sad seeing that leave too.
The infant carseat that we used for both of the kids didnt sell either, which I was shocked about too. $20 for a graco snugride that was very gently used and never been in an accident... looks almost brand new!

So we made close to $250 from the sale, and now have a nearly empty garage! Ok, not empty, but at least we can walk around in it without having to manuever around furniture, or Jadon can ride his tricycle in it. Now if we can just get rid of the fleas, I will probably use the garage in the winter time, when its too cold to go outside, and the kids can ride bikes and play around!

Overall, it was not a bad experience, and for our first garage sale we did pretty good! Although I am absolutely exhausted and I cant wait until I can lay my head down on my pillow and sleep! :)

No comments: