Saturday I had the privilage of going wedding dress shopping with my sister-in-law and mother-in-law in Portland. It was the longest i'd been out of the house without kids since having Avery. Its always weird going anywhere when I dont have a kid or two to tote around.... strangely enough I always feel a little out of sorts, like i'm forgetting something, when I dont have the kids with me. Its difficult switching from mommy-mode to girl-time mode!
Anyways, I was looking forward to going from the time she asked if I would go! I've never been wedding dress shopping with anyone, other than for my own dress, so it was an honor for me.
Of course, the night before I couldnt go to sleep. That always happens to me the night before I get to go do something or have to be somewhere. I couldnt turn my mind off, plus it was really hot, and Avery had a really plugged nose, so I was up with her at 2am trying to suck the bugars out of her nose and put saline drops in. Finally I was able to go to sleep after 3am, only to have to get up at 6:30am to get ready to go to Jadon's soccer at 9am.
I think it was excitement of going wedding dress shopping, but I had plenty of energy for the whole morning, then once the dress was picked and it was time to go eat, my energy took a major nose dive.
We then went to eat at the spaghetti factory (yum!!!) and then off to do a little more shopping at the mall. It was a great day, a much needed day away from the kids, time that I could focus on something other than the kids! Although I made a few calls home to make sure Derek was handling everything just fine. Of course he was, and it sounds as though the kids were angels.
Derek's sister picked a gorgeous dress.... sorry, i cant post any pictures.... and I am so glad that I got to be there for it!!!
So, i've noticed over the last week or so that i've become quite frumpy looking. With all the mirrors at David's bridal, it was impossible to not catch a glimpse of myself in one of them occasionally, and I noticed how tired I look, and how i'm beginning to age. My eyes are sunken back in my puffy face with dark circles under them. I never realized how much i've aged since having kids, and I can only imagine its from all the lack of sleep i've had over the last 3 years! That, and the fact that my needs have taken a backseat. No longer do I have time to do my hair nice; I dress for comfort now, rather than what looks good; and finding time to do anything for myself is extremely rare. I'm not complaining, I knew my needs would become last place to my kids needs when I signed up to be a parent. Its worth it! But I tried to not let it happen, but it just slowly has, and now that I notice it, its a bit of a hard pill to swallow.
I'm losing weight and now beginning getting myself in shape some, but I feel and look like i'm 40, not 30. My hair, clothes and makeup need major updating! I just have no idea these days what hairstyle would look good for my face, and what clothes would be flattering on me. I hate feeling frumpy.
1 comment:
Yay it sounds like you're slowly starting to make a little time for yourself, I think every mommy needs that!!
I don't think you look frumpy at all ( I too hate all those bridal mirrors, I don't need to see myself at every angle!). You deserve to treat yourself to a makeover, I bet it'd make you feel awesome!
Post a Comment