I would have thought the first day of school would have been Jadon's highest anxiety of the week. But he actually did really well on day 1. Didn't sleep well at all the night before, but he did well at school nonetheless.
Next couple days went fine and dandy without any issues.
Then today came. And he woke up and was immediately anxious. He had pain in his stomach and tried to tell us he wasn't feeling well. We know better now. He gets pains and twinges in his stomach all the time, as most of us do I imagine, (btw, we had his pediatrician check his stomach to make sure nothing was wrong with him) however he's so hyper-focused on them that he freaks out with every ache, pain, twinge with his body, especially when its in his stomach.
So today did not start off well. And then he refused to do anything and refused to go to school. We were not going to reinforce his fears and eventually got him to get dressed and ready, however he missed the bus, and was a half hour late to school.
And in case anyone thinks we are cruel for making him go, he's pulled the "i don't feel well" many times, and is always fine. His psychologist said we can't give in to those things because it just reinforces his fears and he will never learn how to cope. As hard as it is, we must stick to it.
Sigh.
On a different note, we had curriculm night at the school last night, where we met Jadon's teacher and heard all about what they would be doing this year in 2nd grade. LOOOOOVE his teacher so far! She's energetic and positive and upbeat. She's been teaching for 20 years. So i'm excited for his year this year, I think it will be a fun one for him! (if he can relax)
Last year he had a good teacher, but she was old (had been teaching for 43 years!), oldschool, quiet, and quite frankly a little dull. So they are completely opposite.
We heard all about the new common core learning that they are doing now. And while I hated it before, and wondered why in the world they would change the old way that wasn't broken. But, she said they were finding that kids that graduated highschool were not college ready, and so the common core seems to have higher standards and gives kids an alternate method of learning. You won't find any multiple choice questions! And while I still have my doubts, it sounds much less retarded now after she explained it to us. We will see how well it works when the kids that start on it graduate... that'll be awhile though!
So there's 70 some 2nd graders at the school, so they now have three 2nd grade teachers to accomodate them all. Last year Jadon had 31 kids in his class, this year he has 24, so that's a better number! Unfortunately he got separated from his good buddies. But fortunately he isn't in the same class as the neighbor boy that hangs out at our house all. the. time! (That's a whole other story.... a quite annoying story!)
Avery, well, she's Avery. Goofy, silly, lovey, etc. She started second year of preschool and of course loves it! I'm so thankful that she's a good kid, and I think when she sees us struggling at any given time with Jadon, she realizes she needs to be on her best behavior because we are completely exasperated! (Thank you Jesus!!!!) She has her moments, but its rarely at the same time Jadon's having a "moment." Next year she will start all day kindergarten and I will miss my little stinker. :*(
First day of school was weird without all the noise in the house, and I felt a little lonely and missed my kiddos. I'm already getting back into the groove though and its actually rather nice having quiet! ;)
1 comment:
You guys are doing awesome. I can't imagine the struggles of having a child dealing with anxiety, but I don't doubt one bit, that he will be so thankful for the follow through when he's older!
Post a Comment