Friday, May 6, 2011

Frustrations

Jadon has really really REALLY been pushing our every buttons lately. He has been very easily angered and frustrated in the last month or so, and the way he expresses his frustration is by screaming or hitting. Its not a tantrum, this is obvious frustration.
It seems as though everything sets him off.... something as silly as me changing Avery's poopy diaper, and then going to the kitchen to wash my hands, will set him off and before I know what is happening, he's exploding into a fit of rage, yelling at the top of his lungs... not words typically, just noise.

Its to the point where I am mentally and emotionally drained, and I think Derek probably is too. Something has to change, for both mine and Derek's sake, and for the kids' sake.

I know that 4 is a difficult age. And I know that nothing we do will "cure" this... I know he'll just grow out of it eventually. But in the meantime, we can hopefully do something to minimize these "episodes."

We ordered him a responsibility chart, and we are going to have a little chat with him. I talked to him a little today, asking him what he was feeling, and he said he was frustrated. And I asked what he was frustrated about, and he said Avery. So I dug a little deeper, and asked what it was about Avery that frustrated him. And basically I got that he is frustrated that she doesnt get in trouble for things that he gets in trouble for. This is something we suspected bothered him to begin with, and it is completely understandable for him to feel that way. We've explained to him before that Avery is still too young to understand the consequences that bad behavior result in, but when she gets a little bigger, she will have the same consequences that he has and will get in trouble for the same things he does. Its hard for him to understand that she doesnt understand yet. Obviously there's not much we can do about this situation.

One thing we have found that diffuses his freakouts faster, is when we remain calm and understanding.

I hope that time and a few little changes will help us to better deal with this drama that he's presenting.... Lord knows theres plenty of other drama with ADULTS that we have to deal with, we dont need such drama from Jadon too!

No comments: