Macy has been with us now for over a little over a month already! Not sure how time went so fast. On one hand, it feels like we just got her, and on the other hand, it feels like we've had her for a long time!
She had her second vet visit today, she weighs a whopping 5lbs 10 oz now, which is up 2 lbs and 3 oz from her last visit a month ago. She's growing rapidly and her appetite shows it most of the time.
We are enjoying getting to know her more, and she seems to have really taken to our family, however she does run from Avery, but every morning or anytime anyone comes home from somewhere, she eagerly greets them.... even Avery. Avery is a bit rough with her. Avery's used to big dogs, so I don't think she quite understands how to handle such a tiny dog, and doesn't realize how much more fragile Macy is compared to all the other dogs in her life.
Its no surprise though that Macy has taken a particular liking to me, since I spend the most time with her.
Her biggest issue is pottying. She doesn't seem to be "getting" the potty outside thing. This has been the most frustrating part so far because sometimes we miss her "signs" that she needs to go (apparently she can't be left out of sight.... at all... ever.....) and sometimes she has no signs at all and just stops and drops a bomb on the floor. She has no particular "place" that she goes, its just anywhere. Every room in the house has been peed in. I'm researching carpet cleaners and told Derek that the only thing I want for Christmas this year is a carpet cleaner! We're definitely going to need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jadon started taking anxiety medication around the time we got Macy. The particular medication he's on is supposed to take 6-8 weeks before any changes, but he's been a very different child almost since he started it! He's been much more happy, less outbursts of anger, more compliant when asked to do things. I'm not sure his anxiety has been helped much yet, but we haven't had much come up that would cause great anxiety in the last couple weeks. I went on a field trip with him last week, and he was worried I wasnt going to get to school in time (i had to stop and get gas before i got there) and they would leave without me. He was also worried about getting his lunch while there, and about the bus leaving without us on the way home. I can't imagine going through that, where everything in life is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Its so sad. So sad. I am eager to see how the medication will help in that way.
We also met with his new therapist this week. We like her so far, she's super knowledgeable, and I feel like she was not watching the clock through our whole appointment. With cognitive behavioral therapy, the whole family will be helping him, not just the therapist helping him. Our whole family will be involved. Studies show that cognitive behavioral therapy is equally as effective as medication, so I hope that with the medication, we can help him more immediately, and with the therapy we can help him in the future learn how to deal and cope with anxiety.
Jadon also started last week on melatonin to help him sleep better at night. He has the hardest time going to sleep. The melatonin is already helping him... nights when he's taken it, he has not taken more than 10 minutes to fall asleep each night. :)
Its already November, and i'm already tired of the rain, cold, short days. I keep telling myself that every day is one step closer to spring and summer and warmth and long days and SUN!
No comments:
Post a Comment